Sara Fanelli


Collection of Illustration Work
Sara Fanelli was originally born in Florence, Italy. She now lives in London after studying at The Royal College or Art since 1995. Although her illustrations are not my normal taste in illustration I can see the appeal to others, her mix-match cut and paste and unusual perspectives styles illustrate her own perception perfectly. And I can see how it makes for more of an unexpected outcome rather than the traditional media of paint and pen. This style reminds me a little of Eric Carson who illustrated the Hungry Caterpillar
Some famous clients of hers include the New Yorker, Penguin books etc. Her media is mixed however a recurring media she likes to use is the art of printmaking. She uses collage and print within every piece of work. Her target audience initially appeal to children due to her quirky style however I believe that some adult may enjoy the unusual way she presents her illustrations, away from the norm of watercolour and pen. The limit with using collage on illustrations means that they can quickly become out-of-date as the trends of illustrations alter. Her stlye reminds me of the similar mix-match style of the Picasso during his        Cubism era. I think this sort of style would be quite good to try and experiement with as a new design style to try-out.